Tuesday, April 01, 2008

RV Trip - The Prologue


Traveling in an RV takes me back to my days of playing with my Donny and Marie camper as a girl. It's a dream come true! I planned our recent trip to Arizona in our rented Winnebago for months. I'd reflected how our last four family vacations have been absolute disasters and so I did my best to apply my past learning in the planning of this trip. It's going to be quite the epistle so we will have to document it in installments.
Here are the rules applied to the vacation:
  1. Don't plan the trip like playing a game of tetris. The kids (nor I) do well with a zillion events crammed into every second. I like the saying "you can't cram 20 pounds of manure in a 10 pound sack."
  2. Vacation while on vacation. Schedule time to just play or read a book.
  3. Only schedule one visit with family per day. The kids can only handle visiting one new household at a time. New households can only handle us once a day too.
  4. Make sure you have your own place to stay (the reason for the RV).
  5. Assure that everyone is well before departure. (Thankfully everyone was but we did purchase the insurance JUST IN CASE!)
  6. Plan a long time to travel between stops. We don't do well with forced marches.

I'm happy to report we had a fabulous time! We can't wait to tell you all about it! Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like fun. Peter used to always talk about living in an RV and just go wherever and whenever we wanted. I think this is a better option. :-) i enjoy reading your blog, I hope you don't mind.

Kath said...

Yay!! for successful rv trip!! Can't wait for the details...

D-dawg said...

Dave has always wanted to do this sort of trip. Someday when we do I'll use these tips. It sounds fun!

Marah said...

OOOH! I have always wanted to do this! I am hoping to hear details about who you rented your RV from (or did you buy one?) and what kind you used and if you liked the RV company and ALL THE PLACES YOU WENT!