Friday, May 08, 2009

Don't Fence Me In

As is obvious, I haven't written a blog entry in forever. I can't totally explain why except for maybe my paralysis from censorship. It's a plague on Facebook, too. I have to be so careful what I write that it stunts my creativity. My sarcastic side can get me into a bit of trouble. I am even on a blog commenting diet because I felt like I was getting into trouble all the time. Only people who really know me, get me. Since Jams & Jellies has always really been Scott's baby, I may just hand over the reigns to him forever. Who knows, maybe I'll start another blog of my very own and truly not care what anyone thinks. It would be for the not-so-faint of heart because let's face it, I feel things pretty deeply and sometimes that's just not so pretty. We'll see.

Oh wait, getting too philosophical, this is the feel good blog still. Okay. Here are some random happenings from the last bit. (I'm on Scott's Macbook--isn't he nice to share with me while he is parading around Ghana? Let me see if I can figure out how to upload a photo...)

Sarah had a birthday. Here she is with the cutest birthday cake I've ever seen made by her Aunt Susie and cousin Anna, cake bakers/decorators extraordinaire! This is beginning to be a Utah tradition I can stand by! (This fab duo made Grace's 1st birthday cake. Here's to hoping they are available for our two birthdays coming up the end of May.)


And Sarah was baptized.


I must pause and share a quick story about Sarah. Last week, she gave a talk in primary and the subject happened to be baptism (how timely). I, as usual, wrote the talk but she didn't have a chance to go through it before her time to give it. She 'sightread' it as we say in the music world. I thought it would be nice if she quoted a verse of a baptism-themed primary song. So, on Sarah's paper it said, "In closing, I would like to quote a verse from the song, 'I Want to be Baptized.'" She looked up at me, had a strange look on her face and then SANG the verse! She didn't know what the word "quote" meant. The brave little soul broke out into an acapella rendition of the song to be obedient to what I wrote. It was just about the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I felt a little bad about the communication breakdown but it all worked out fine.

Grace has been up to her usual antics.


Let's give credit where credit is due. She had a cohort in crime.


And it's been Pinewood Derby time around here.



I was a solo parent on this one and as a bit of background, I don't do well with this event when both parents are around. I was a little stressed but it had a happy ending.

I've been playing with a new camera lens. Just a little indulgence in trying to survive while Scott's away.




And a little action shot: Grace saying her new word "go?". She says this whenever I ask her where something is. It makes me chuckle every time she does it.



That's it in a nutshell. The only big project looming before Scott's return is my 4th grade county report. Wait, did I say "MY"? Oh excuse me...that would be BEN'S county report. Of course, he will be doing every last word of it. Now, if I could just find my coloring crayons...

9 comments:

Paige said...

Oh I love the update. Pls be nasty. It's much more fun. L
Love your little cohorts in crime.

Kath said...

Yay!! come back to blogging!! We like you uncensored!! I am (also) out of taco seasoning--thx for the reminder, Gracie. Love, love the bday cake--they are HIRED! You know how I feel about school/home projects..Y U C K!! Good luck and you are awesome to do my other least fave-PWD cars. O! the things we must tolerate!! I am wishing you the best Mother's Day ever...take a break...send the kids to the 2nd and 3rd hour and go home for a nap. (set your alarm) You deserve it!!:)

Hillary said...

we were just with susie and anna a few weekends ago and were treated to a spice cake. it was yummy! breaks are ok, btw. blogs are not for OTHER peopl, they're for ourselves. so be you! it's refreshing!!!

katielyn said...

I am happy to see you've updated your blog. Glad to see Chucky is up to business even in my absence. The cake looks awesome. The photos were sweet. Yay! for the return of Scott!

Scotty said...

I am not sure if I would call it "parading" in Ghana--

But I am proud of you for taking over the Dad duties as well as your regular Mom duties! You are the best and the Greatest Mom and Wife.

Thanks and Happy Mothers day.

Jen said...

Please don't stop posting! I love your posts!

liz j said...

Congrats to Sarah! Your kids are truly awesome. Loved the update.

mamasuisse said...

What a trusting little sweetheart to just break into song like that. Awesome story.

Scott came and went, and we didn't get together. It's time to meet your kids in real life!

Becca said...

I don't work anymore! This means I have a ton of free time. If you ever want me to come visit and give you a bit of a break, please call me! We'll be gone this Thursday-Wednesday but after that I would love to hang out with you guys!