Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Own Thoughts






If possible to have a "favorite" prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley would most definitely be mine. I have a testimony of prophets. The belief in a modern-day living prophet is integral in a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I join the ranks of millions who loved this man both as a mouthpiece of the Lord as well as a person who has lived an extraordinary life. His biography written by Shari Dew describes so well this extraordinary life.




I have to share one of my most treasured memories of President Hinckley. I could actually share thousands of experiences where his words has taught me/changed me so much! However, at this time I want to share just one...




I have never met a general authority in person, let alone the prophet. I have never attended General Conference in person. On occasion, I have attended a regional meeting, devotionals in my BYU days where I would have been in the large presence of a general authority but never had I actually been face to face with one.




Scott's parents were being set apart as the temple president and matron of the Denmark Temple in 2004 by President Hinckley in Salt Lake. I was just a couple of weeks from delivering Emma. Dee and Kay's children were invited to attend this setting apart. With written permission from my doctor to board a plane, Scott and I left the kids behind (a huge hurdle for me) and set off for Salt Lake for the day.




This was just days after Sister Hinckley had passed away. Before President Hinckley's assistant led us into the large conference room he schooled us on what would happen. He mentioned that we should not expect him to shake each person's hand, that he was tired and weary. We entered in through a main door and took our seats. A few minutes later, a side door opened and in walked President Hinckley. It's impossible to recreate with words the spirit that overtook that room. We each stood at his presence. He then proceeded around the entire room and shook the hands of each person there, including mine looking me straight in the eye. I will never forget the power and witness I felt at his presence. The look of the Prophet's eyes will forever be imprinted in my mind. This is an experience I will forever treasure. I didn't need to see the prophet in person to have a testimony of his truthfulness. It was just an exquisite treat to do so.


This picture was taken inside the Church Office Building on the day of Dee and Kay's setting apart.

Here's a quote just for fun that I just read in the Ensign...

"I want to plead with you to keep balance in your lives. Do not become obsessed with what may be called 'a gospel hobby.' A good meal always includes more than one course. You ought to have great strength in your chosen . . . field of expertise. But I warn you against making that your only interest . . .

" . . . Beware of obsession. Beware of narrowness. Let your interests range over many good fields while working with growing strength in the field of your own profession."

An amazing man. Just as amazing will be the day to sustain a new prophet. It's so exciting the church will never be in chaos. We'll have a new prophet to love and listen to. We won't be led astray. This is awesome!

6 comments:

Laurel C. said...

I love that story; it really touched me. What a powerful experience! And what a powerful prophet.

Hillary said...

Wow! What an awesome experience. Now you have it written down for your posterity! I can only imagine the feeling of peace and the witness of the savior and his love for you! I', still emotional, that's the reason for my tears :)

mamasuisse said...

What a great experience. Thank you for sharing it.

Celia Fae said...

I am waiting for the rest of the story, but I guess you've chosen not to tell. What, a blog isn't sacred?

Nortorious said...

Good Old Gord. Beautiful story.

D-dawg said...

Nancy that is so so amazing. I cannot even imagine the feelings you must have had when you shook his hand! You are so lucky to have had that experience!! Thank you for sharing.