Thursday, January 03, 2008

Skating into the New Year

December 31st was a lazy day around our house. After nearly a month of begging I finally gave in and took the kids ice skating in downtown Walnut Creek. We had a blast, and I enjoyed the 80's music that seemed to be a theme. Ben and Sarah had fun getting their "skate feet" back.


























The first half of our adventure with Sarah was pushing her along or helping her with full support. After a while I let go and wouldn't you know that she could skate on her own! Ice skating was something that she did not think she could do on her own. I was really proud of her for trying!


Ben had a lot of fun and was content to skate by him self and was excited to get out his favorite hat. It is a few years old and possibly a size or two too small. Hmmm you be the judge.





I was of course happy to bring out "my" old skates. They are actually my Dad's skates that he purchased in the 50's and brought back from his mission in Sweden and gave to me. He skated on the Baltic Sea one cold winter when it was frozen from Stockholm to Helsinki. I'm sure he didn't go that far, but I am happy to have his leather Swedish hockey skates.

















Nancy and the other girls (Emma and Grace) went to a near by park and had a swing while we carved the ice.












We ended 2007 with a kid party. Sounds crazy but it was fun. We invited over a family from our ward and had a little movie night. A movie was the activity but horsing around was the real fun.

Our neighbors had a little firework display around 8 and we settled down around 10 PM. Not too exciting, but we are looking forward towards a new year 2008!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

4 comments:

Nortorious said...

Ice skating, while fun in theory poses two threats: cold and hurty. Did anyone fall down? Was there any blood, tears?

Christy said...

How fun! Looks like the kids had a great time. How cool that you fit those ice skates! What an awesome thing to have. Danny begged me to go ice skating as well, I'm not quite as nice as you!

Nancy said...

Hey Christy--it's not too late for Danny. Scott and the kids would love to go again! As for me, I'll stay home, thank you very much.

liz j said...

How fun! I'm proud of Sarah too! Your kids are wonderful.

The first time I tried ice skating I was 20 I think and stank horribly. I always thought I was at least a little coordinated. I can run and jump and do a sport, but I cannot skate to save my life. So sad.