Tuesday, December 16, 2008

When do you call the fire department?

I wish I could say I was busy cleaning the toilet or something but actually, I was busy at the computer when Emma and Grace decided to pop some microwave popcorn. Grace is the instigator and Emma the "go to" gal. With combined efforts, the bag of popcorn made it into the microwave and the timer set. I got updates from Emma like, "Mom, I pushed the wight buttons!", "I can mell the popcone cooking." Great, I respond, type, type, typing away. Suddenly, Emma runs to me and says "Mom, come he-o quick." I run to the kitchen to see smoke billowing out of the microwave and this number on the microwave screen.



Emma then says, "oh, dang. I pushed the wong numb-o." Don't worry, I say. Good job for trying! Smoke is now stinking up the house, the bag of popcorn is now smoldering in the garbage can outside and all the doors in the middle of a welcomed snowstorm are open. My fire-alarm guard cat, pumpkin, is meowing to make sure I know that the smoke is burning all of our throats and Emma is yelling for me to shut the doors because it's too cold. I don't think anyone can be harmed from popcorn smoke inhalation. The throat burning is dying down, thank goodness. I'm sure it will ultimately be to blame for some sort of cancer I'll get later in life. Nice to have another excuse besides all that eco-friendly stuff I refuse to believe in.

The other thought that went through my mind at the height of the emergency: Oh great, what if I have to call the fire department and there are rice krispies spilled all over the floor! That would be embarassing.
My sweet cohorts...

7 comments:

Kath said...

ohhhhhhhhh! and that burnt popcorn smell is hard to get rid of!! Your girls are growing up and so darling:)Glad everyone is ok and that you got to the microwave before it went for 3000 more minutes...

Becca said...

When the snowstorm hit, all I could think of was how happy your kids must be! That helped me hate it less :)

Paige said...

Knowing how to pop popcorn by themselves is an important life skill. It's nice of you to help them with this lesson. Another point that you are good mom.

Kyle said...

The same thing happens when Becca lets ME use the microwave.

marthab said...

I love that you have the presence of mind to take photos. Very cool headed momma, you are!

Marah said...

I was thinking to myself two days ago when I read this that, My kids have done a lot of things but not that one. Now I am back to report that it happened to me yesterday. Almost the same thing--my 9 yo was making top ramen and forgot to put the water in. Very cold outside and yet we still opened every door and window. Does the smoke smell ever go away?!?

Kath said...

just noticed...it might help to put the "bottom" of the bag on the bottom to prevent future scorching...o and also no more 3000 minutes too.