Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Tale of the Twenty Four Pound Tom Turkey

I chuckled to myself when people would ask me, "are you going home for Thanksgiving?" My mental response usually was, "umm, we've been married for 12 years, home is where we are living which is here." I'm proud to report that I didn't let myself get melancholy once this week in thinking about how many Thanksgivings we've actually spent totally alone as a family. (A majority of them) It's a badge of honor. I love my little family and glad I get to share the holidays with them.

We were pleased to be able to help Scott's cousins adjust to their first Thanksgiving without their parents (Scott's aunt and uncle are on a mission). We are pros. They were kind enough to invite us to their Thanksgiving dinner and our contribution was the turkey. Wait, did I say "OUR", I meant to say SCOTT'S contribution was the turkey. I cannot take credit for the spectacularly cooked turkey Scott pulled off. Did I marry well, or what? Scott is a fabulous chef and he did an awesome job. Don't worry, I contributed in the things I do best: worker bee in the final hours of the meal preparation, setting the table and documenting the day with photos. I'm really good at fawning over those who did cook. Really, it's a gift I have.


Here we go, the pictorial tale of the 24 pound tom turkey:




Preparing the brew to brine the turkey for 18 hours prior to cooking. Thanks "myfoxutah" for the recipe. Think a lot of salt, some honey and spices in a lot of water and broth.



Scott removing the sacred neck and gizzards. When Scott asked for something to hold them in, I responded with, "how about a trash can." No go. The organs stayed. Luckily he boiled them while I was away at Twilight with Becca. I'm also refraining from posting the close-up shot of the turkey neck. You're welcome.


Scott wrestling the bad boy into the oven roasting bag that would eventually hold the brine. When he called me to assist, I did what I do best, "hold on, let me take a picture first." Luckily, the turkey didn't end up on the floor due to the delay.



Onto the next day, THE day. Scott trying the initial roasting pan.




I feel like I'm going to bust out of my britches once in a while too. Have to move on to PLAN B: run home and get the other roasting pan that my dad gave me a few years back. My dad did not chintz on kitchen wares. Thanks Big Vern! We were thinking about you and know you would be so proud!



Unfortunately, an amputation was still necessary. Off the wings came but don't worry, we are provident livers here, the wings got tucked in underneath the bird so they wouldn't go to waste. I mean, really, we have to keep the dumb gizzards for heaven's sake. You think he was going to let the wings go? No way, jose.



All dressed (massaged, spiced, and who knows what else) and ready to go!




After a few hours (and a full choreography of turning the oven up and down, putting on the foil, taking off the foil, stand up, sit down, fight, fight, fight)....



The cook's job is never done. Here he is pictured with the hostess with the mostest, cousin Julie. (By the way, those are construction paper turkey feathers on the door behind Julie, not a special cap she made for the occasion.)



Carving away. Glad a 24-pound turkey can feed 13 adults and 12 kidlets.

We were especially lucky to have Becca and Kyle (niece and her hubby) to share in the turkey glory. They were kid entertainers extraordinaire! Such a handsome couple!




Grace enjoying some mashed potatoes.


With Scott's cousins, we change the song from "grab your partner" to "grab your baby"! We were so lucky to be included with such a festive group.

What I haven't photographed are the ziploc bags full of turkey bones and leftover meat that Scott dreams about making turkey stock and sandwiches with. Although he has made a couple of sandwiches, he is almost up on his turkey stock-making days. I have an internal clock that informs me when it is politically correct to toss them.

Awesome job Scotty! You made one of my least favorite foods so yummy!

6 comments:

Paige said...

Nancy that is a fabulous recap. I'm guessing you clean too since Scott cooks? I'm the cleaner. It sucks. I did do my first turkey this year and bring it to pams. I threw it in and oven bag and cooked for 2 hours and it was better than Pams. But she got to keep the leftovers 'cause she did the dishes.

I'm thinking 12 kids sounds heavenly, esp. all those tiny babies. I think that's about what we had. You may be home with your fam in Utah but you're still a Cricker.

Celia Fae said...

I fantasized about sneaking home with Pam's turkey. I'm jealous of your leftovers.

Becca said...

Cute pictures, and funny commentary! We had so much fun with you guys, and that turkey was delicious!

Kath said...

Nancy, fun post! Tell Scott that Mark bbqd our turkey...like from 32 down to 2 steps..it was yummy but prob. not as fun to document.

Christy said...

I heard all about your awesome dinner-it looks like it was a blast. Glad the turkey was a success. (PS: Scott's ghottie (can you even tell what that word is? I have no idea how to spell that word-ie his cute facial hair) is super cute!)

liz j said...

Seriously impressive bird!