Saturday, November 22, 2008

Provident Living

So, I guess my darling child does not inspire comments. So sad. I'll move onto another subject that has been brewing in my head. With this economy combined with being "starving students" now, we, like many others, have had to tighten the belt. Here are a few things that have saved us some pennies so that hopefully the dollars will mind themselves.


1. Do a load of laundry a day. A load a day makes it so that the kids don't need as many clothes. I'm sure an economist out there would say that doing a load a day could be less cost effective on the energy bill but in my house, we just don't need as many outfits, socks, underwear etc.


2. Unsubscribe to retail e-mails. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't think to click onto a retail website unless I get an e-mail first.


3. Don't go out to eat. This one is obvious and self-explanatory.


4. Drive the speed limit. This helps on many levels. Besides avoiding paying ridiculous fees on speeding tickets, I actually do get better mileage. Trust me, I know.


5. Eat in portion control. Shocking that a box of triscuits can last me two weeks if I eat them in suggested serving sizes. Hmmmm....


6. Although food is cheaper at Walmart and Target, all the "extras" that end up in my basket certainly make up for any savings on food.


7. The above applies to Costco except that I have been able to exhibit control and only buy FOOD that we actually do EAT before it expires from Costco at a cost savings.


8. Use the library. Another no-brainer. I just hate borrowing but it's working okay.


9. Throw away the volumes of catalogs that come in the mail especially before the kids see them.


10. Only drink water or milk. Soda speaks for itself and juice just doesn't do anything for us. We're better off eating the actual fruit than its juice.


11. Don't buy cold cereal. Sounds crazy but it's so expensive, increases our milk bill unnecessarily, and unless it's Fiber One or Kashi (or something like it) it's just not that good nutritionally. Everyone is hungry not more than an hour later if eaten for breakfast. Scott's note: Fiber One is colon care not nutritional care.


12. Do Flylady instead of hiring a housecleaner. This one is a bummer and is still not proving to be a replacement but I'm trying. This one is coming back to the budget as soon as I can manage it.


Wait a minute, half of these things are from my "how to lose weight" list. What's up with that? I hate it when things are so inter-related.


This is just a small sampling but I'm amazed that for once in our married life, we are able to stick to a budget successfully. That feels kind of good!


4 comments:

Hillary said...

I think I'll have to try me some of those! (by the way, I loved the picture of baby! I don't know if my camera does raw, but I'll have to see if it does!)

Kath said...

Wow! So very impressive. I am so scared to try but maybe you have given me the courage.Thanks, Nancy!!

Karen said...

Yikes! A budget?? Greg keeps trying with me. I remember the one when we put cash into envelopes. Humm, that didn't work either. My best money saver is only go to school and church. That's what life is like just now until Parent-teacher conferences are over. (Excluding this glorious Thanksgiving break--but so far I am only cleaning house, so money is safe!)

Jenny said...

your daugher is adorable, i just didn't have any good photography tips for you in your last post.

thanks for sharing money saving tips! i love to hear other people's ideas and implement some of them. i am also a fan of the book borrowing, no cereal, and only milk and water.