Saturday, November 10, 2007

Shhhh...the carrots are sleeping!

















Is it ever too late to go to the grocery store? Good old Safeway is advertised as being open 24 hours a day. I made a late Saturday night run to my local Safeway this evening, about 10:30pm, to pick up a few last minute items before the Sabbath. After running into a friend and colleague from the theater (hey Lenore!), I went into the produce section to pick up my much needed bell pepper. I was bewildered to find that all of the lights were out in the refrigerated section--you know, the part where the sprinklers go off every so often. Does the produce section close? Apparently the lettuce and other various vegetation do go night-night at my Safeway.


One of my other items of purchase was an ice cream pie: a much craved dessert to celebrate after a performance of Guys & Dolls. Going to an establishment to enjoy a treat after the show with all the kids just doesn't work anymore. The very helpful adolescent bagging my groceries happily inquired if someone at my house was celebrating a birthday. My response: "Well, sort of." I didn't want to tell him that I have hidden in my car, a plastic fork so I could eat it on the way home. It's better not to let my friendly bagger think that somebody would buy a Safeway ice cream pie just for a snack.


P.S. Don't worry, I just indulged in one piece...well, at least so far.




6 comments:

Paige said...

I totally thought this was written by Scotty until I saw that you were planning on eating it on the way home. That's a girl thing. And you deserve it. You were FANTASTIC, the true star to make those idiots sound great.

I'm surprised you didn't go for the cheesecake. Or streudal. Sol is begging me for cheesecake after that scene...

Celia Fae said...

I bet the carrots get to sleep through the night. Lucky.

I hope you waited until the pie was a little bit melty so as not to break the tines of the plastic fork.

Great show. Those kids would be lost without you. Emma and Sarah were so cute wrestling Alice on the balcony. Sarah especially. I can tell she loves babies.

liz said...

omgosh- i did a late night run during the week and planned on getting an apple pie. i wanted to sit alone in my car and eat it before driving home. I am pretty sure I would have eaten at least half, if not all of it at once.

I so hear ya on the alone treat time. I was sad they didn't have my pie.

Ellie said...

If I move to your neighborhood will you share the late night pie? Mmm.

mamasuisse said...

Late at night is the best time to go to the grocery store - no crowds, no kids, dimmed lights - it's a date night with yourself! Pick up a good book to enjoy in the car with your ice cream pie, and you can stretch the alone time out even longer.

D-dawg said...

YUM! And I agree with Paige, you deserve it. I have often wondered if the checkers wonder when you stack up piles of junk food on the counter to buy. The other day I went in and bought a weeks worth of my candy bar addiction and that was it.