Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Old Dog New Tricks


Being the youngest of six kids with a spread of 16 years, I have always felt young. When you have siblings turning 50, being in the 30's feels like a teenager. I am starting to recognize the possibility that perhaps I am getting older as I am in my "late 30's" having a newborn. I look around and notice my baby-making contemporaries. I can't help but see how this old goat compares to all these young hip moms I'm surrounded by. I guess I'm just not feeling so young and spry. Here are some signs that have tipped me off:

- I don't own a Phil & Ted stroller or any cool, compact looking stroller for that matter. I still push around my enormous 4-in-1 stroller.

- Actually, I haven't even been using a stroller at all lately. I just walk around with my cute little bundle in my arms if I heaven forbid have to leave the house. Why bother getting the stroller out anyway? I think it's way more fun to just stay at home.

- I don't own a Baby Bjorn. I do have a Kelty Kids front pack but it's too much of a pain to put on.

- I don't use a real diaper bag. The first couple of trips out with my baby, I carried a diaper and a bag of wipes in my hand. Now that I am forced to carry around a few things, I use one of the kids crafty trick-or-treat bags I made a few years ago.

- After those middle-of-the-night feedings, I have been faced with boughts of insomnia. I figure if I'm going to have to get up in a couple of hours anyway, I might as well stay up and get something done. It would be too painful to have to wake up again.

- I don't use a sling. I just can't imagine being coordinated enough to be able to carry my baby in one of those without having her fall out. I'm way too clumsy.

- I don't swaddle my baby. She looks frustrated to me when I tie her arms down in the blanket.

- I don't have a "hooter-hider". I see them all over the place but I'm happy with a good old-fashioned blanket.
- There aren't really any pictures of me holding my baby. I'm great at taking pictures of everyone else but I don't really like to be in the photos. This is not good. I'll be putting that on my to-do list.

It's actually quite refreshing to hear all the new tricks of the trade from the hip and trendy moms I know. There are a few problems that have been solved finally on baby number 4 due to the young 'uns. The sound machine helps us with the nap/sleep thing. The "Brest Friend" pillow is handier than free-arming it.

Thanks to the trendy moms out there that are teaching this old dog some new tricks. Well, at least being good examples of what's in. There is always going to be a better way than how we used to do it. Whether or not the old dog can actually learn the new tricks is a different story...

8 comments:

Paige said...

The young, hip moms have nothing on you. You actually get how fun it is to just have a baby, why put it down in all those contraptions when you can snuggle it all the time. I never had a diaper bag with my last either.

liz said...

ok...so happy i found your blog via technorati!

1) I saw you Sunday across the room at church and thought how sweet it was you were holding your baby like a loving mom and though 'she must realize how little they are for such a short time now that it's her 4th. I should be holding my baby more often' (as I had him tied up and hidden in his carrier). ;-)

2) I got a hooter hider for a gift and had to read the label twice "hooter what did that say?" It's super easy, like an instant tent, but I have to say they are not the best looking fabrics. Blankets tend to look better if you can get away with it (ie. not have a big kicker baby like mine both have been).

Hillary said...

Hey you ! I've been secretly reading your blog :) I feel like an old dog, too. No new baby ( although I think I want another - but I have to find a new husband if I want another:) I think REAL moms don't really need all that fancy stuff. Babies are meant to be held and cuddled. ( sorry if I offended anyone, I, too, love the fancy stuff but I always found that I didn't use most of it) Bring on the good old blankets and a cute bag from Target!!!

JS said...

Hey, Jen Scott here. I think you are a dang cute mom. I love watching you hold Grace at church, she always looks so peaceful and happy to be snuggled up with you.

Us newbies look up to you!

karen said...

hey, what happened to my comment??? did you delete it?

Ellie said...

Need pix of Grace. It is ok if you are so old school you use a burlap sack to diaper her. The rash shouldn't last long.

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

Nance I miss you!! Thank you for your vote of confidence in my teaching abilities -- it made me smile and I am sure I'll come back to read it often for a great pick-me-up:) Grace is SOOOO beautiful -- I can't wait for Christmas when I get to hold and hug and kiss that little girl! We miss you all like crazy:)
As for being an old dog, I've never even heard of all those crazy baby contraptions you mentioned and we live in Baby Capital, U.S.A.! You're amazing, that's all that matters. Never forget it:) Love you!

Cheryl said...

Nancy-
I think it could have more to do with the fact that it's your fourth child than anything else. Honestly, the way I treat my fourth child compared to my first...? Well, let's just say he doesn't have any cool gadgets, and almost everything is a hand-me-down. Plus, I figure if I haven't figured out how to nurse discreetly by now, then I probably never will. :) :)

(I think you're young and hip!) :)