Sunday, October 21, 2007

Time For Crossword Puzzles

I had an experience on Friday that has left me nearly speechless. Allow me to explain: I had a doctor appointment in Concord and brought Grace along, of course. I parked and proceeded to gather my things including Grace and off we went inside. It turns out the appointment was really a class (argh) lasting over an hour.
About two-thirds through the class, I started doing the mental check of where I had put my keys, wallet, baby etc. I realized I didn't quite know where my keys were. Without panic, I started searching various pockets, bags and carseat. I searched my mind but couldn't quite recall what I had done with those keys. Hmmmm. No need to panic. Luckily the class was about over so I started to gather my things hoping at this point, I had just left the keys in the car and hadn't dropped them along the way. That would be bad. Off we go outside, staying calm. I got to my car and noticed the keys were still in the ignition with the engine running. Do the math my friends--my car was running, unattended and unlocked for over 1 hour. I can't believe my little minivan is not on Craig's List as we speak. As our niece and nephew, Christy & Danny, can attest to, the car theft ring is still thriving.
A friend suggested I should start doing crossword puzzles. Thankfully I have already told my kids that they won't get college tuition unless they take a healthcare course in the care of the elderly. Am I too young for Aricept? Maybe just more sleep is in order.

13 comments:

Paige said...

OK, this could be so much worse. You are sleep deprived so all is forgiven. I've had friends lock the keys in the car, with it running, with the baby in it. What's more surprising is that someone tricked you into a class!

Hillary said...

Oh, honey..... thankfully no one needed a car during that hour! At least you had baby Grace with you :) Now go take a long nap!

D-dawg said...

WOW! Nancy, I am so glad your car is still around. That is just crazy. And very funny too.

Celia Fae said...

You must be living right, woman. And I don't know when you could possibly find time to do crossword puzzles. Don't even try.

mamasuisse said...

Hi Nancy. I've tried Sudoku to boost my brain power - unfortunately, it didn't work any better than I think crosswords would. In just a 2 week period, I lost my phone twice, lost my wallet, lost Steve's credit card which I was using because of my lost wallet, and ran out of gas - TWICE! I think it has something to do with a new baby and estrogen levels, not necessarily encroaching dementia.

Ellie said...

You are the luckiest girl ever.

Celia Fae said...

Nancy! Don't do it! Don't delude yourself into thinking you can clean your own house! Once a cleaning retard, always a cleaning retard.

Nortorious said...

You should have named that post: Confessions of a Sleep Deprived mother.
When Mims was little days passed without me even noticing. It was like a twilight zone.

shauna said...

Just when I thought I had my first male blog fan/visitor/stalker/poacher, I got to sigh in relief, 'cause I found another lady who is living my life 4 years ago with babies and sleep deprivation. The sigh of relief is because I know I won't have a baby suckling on me tonight and I will get a great nights sleep. The sleep thing will get better, the memory won't.

Jessica said...

Came here to congratulate you on the Celia chart and was so pleased to read your hilarious story...which I totally would have done. (Hello, if you go to my blog and go back a week or two, you will see that I handed my car, stereo, purse, SS card, Ipod and camera over to a thief by leaving it all out in my driving WITH THE KEYS in overnight.) So thanks for the story that makes me feel a little less lame.

Alex said...

Hi Nancy, this is Alex, Nor's friend. I just saw your amazing chart on Celia's blog and had to tell you how awe inspiring it is! Do you read everyones blogs?

Also, don't feel bad about losing your mind. My baby is 4 months old and I'm still mixing up days of the week, my husband and son's names, and generally forgeting everything important. Let's hope we all get some sleep soon!

shauna said...

Hi Nancy,

Your family's creativity for Halloween is awesome. I especially love the m&m package. Where in the world did you get a wrapper that big? Inquiring minds (or next years copy cat's) want to know?

Happy Halloween.

shauna said...

Hi Nancy,

Your family's creativity for Halloween is awesome. I especially love the m&m package. Where in the world did you get a wrapper that big? Inquiring minds (or next years copy cat's) want to know?

Happy Halloween.