Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hunt for that special Spoon




So what is the big deal about spoons? I use forks and knives and I appreciate a real good quality kitchen knife. It is an essential in the kitchen. But I love my spoons. I am really not a spoon snob. I like and use all kinds of spoons, but I love to use a melamine slotted spoon in the kitchen. Melamine is the kind of material the spoon is made of. I know that there are PVC, wooden, and other types of slotted spoons. But I like the melamine type the best.

Now something about me: I would have to say of all the home duties I am most comfortable and enjoy the work in the Kitchen the most. Cooking is sort of a passion for me. I am not the best by far, but I like making good food and probably enjoy others liking my food better.

I learned to cook in my Mothers kitchen. The love of cooking and the method of cooking has it's beginnings for me there in her kitchen standing on a stool watching her make magic. There are a number of things I learned from her, like adding butter or heavy cream to almost any recipe is a plus. I also learned that a slotted spoon was an essential kitchen tool. To me the slotted spoon is the equivalent of "Sandwich Sprinkle" a spice mix found from my favorite mail order spice shop called Penzies. (That will have to be another blog entry.) It is a kind of joke in my family that I use sandwich sprinkle on everything. And they would be right. Well when I cook the tool I reach for more often than not is my slotted spoon.

I have owned a number of slotted spoons but they are hard to find for some unknown reason. When I see a kitchen store I enter and search for that special spoon. I have NEVER found the melamine slotted spoon in the United States. The last one I found was in a store in Denmark years ago.

I use my slotted spoons so much that I have worn them out. In fact, I am down to my last one. (Oh the horror!)I treat it very nicely and I try not to over use it. The one I used before my "last" one (it looked like spoon 3520 in the picture above except mine was navy blue, incidently my favorite shape), was in the dish washer and fell from the top basket and straddled the heating element. My cherished spoon was burned up. (An untimely end!)I almost felt like I should finish burning it and keep the ashes in a little blue and white urn in the kitchen, you know for good luck. If you are worrying about me Don't. The spoon was unceremoniously thrown out. I may be crazy, but I am sane. (What?) Anyway, just like that I was down to one. It looks like 3519 in the above picture. Not my favorite shape but it is my last one.

At last the search is over! Special thanks to Nancy my brilliant wife, (who always gets the best gifts for others, and is always thinking ahead) found a slotted spoon source while surfing the web. What did we do before the Internet? I have included the web address so you too may start your own melamine slotted spoon experiment. Will it make you cook better? I don't know, you will just have to try it out. For me I just feel more comfortable in the kitchen with my slotted spoon in hand. I know it sounds silly. But I stand by my spoons.

http://www.gourmac.com/melmixspoon.html

2 comments:

Celia Fae said...

I like slotted spoons too. I find them more aerodynamic than regular spoons and thus more speed can be attained when hitting kids with them.

Paige said...

Dear Scotty, sorry I was rude with my comments. I didn't mean to be, sometimes it just comes off as mean when I think I'm funny. OK, it always comes off like that but please forgive me anyway.

I know nothing about slotted spoons. Is that something people use for cooking? Don't know about that either. What does one use a slotted spoon for? Reheating pasta sauce from a jar?