Friday, September 14, 2007

To sleep or not to sleep, Is that a question?




Have you ever had an experience that was lets say ... undesirable, and after a couple of years go by you think to your self. "That wasn't all that bad." I think we all have selective memory at times and hopefully remember the good things rather than dwell on the not so good things. I think in general that is a good way to look at life.

Well I remembered a lack of sleep with our other children after they were born and determined from my past experience that "it wasn't all that bad before." Well, well my friends all I can say is selective memory in a funny thing. Being tired just seems to be a way of life with a new baby. Nancy of course receives the least amount of sleep between us and I know when she reads this she may want to poke me in the eye for even half complaining about MY lack of sleep.

So what about the question "to sleep or not to sleep?" It seems like when Grace is asleep that is the perfect time to sleep or not to sleep.

On one hand SLEEP! Boy that sounds soooo good. On the other hand, work. At some point you have to keep up with the other kids, the laundry, the dishes, the cats, the dust, spilt milk and crushed crackers on the carpet, bills, emails, thank you cards, etc, etc. (Now when Nancy reads this I am afraid she will poke me in the other eye for insinuating that all these things are on MY list of things to do when not sleeping. I do have to admit I have stepped up my duties in the Kitchen and laundry room, but Nancy courageously tackles all of these things on a daily basis.) (I hope I have saved my eye.)

The only problem with choosing to sleep or work is not being able to do both at the same time. If you do one the other suffers. If you choose sleep, after the well needed snooze it is like awakening to the aftermath of Katrina. Yikes. If you choose to try to get one step ahead of the mountain of work to be done you by default continue to enlist with the ranks of the living dead.

So what ever you do you do, and the things that are not done will just have to wait. From my experience of having been a father of a newborn 3 previous times, I remember that this does not last for ever! That I know I remember correctly! Thank heavens!

Good heavens LOOK at the time. I should be asleep!


1 comment:

D-dawg said...

Don't remind me! I had forgotten! It is true that newborns bring fatigue but look at that beautiful face! That picture is darling and makes everything worth it I'm sure! Congrats you guys!